Wednesday, August 19, 2009

SlideShare

Hi all,

I have only just become aware of SlideShare. Wikipedia (2009) explains that it; "is a presentation sharing website where users can upload, view and share presentation files." It is a fantastic technology. It really is a great space to have available. Learning managers have an area to store their resources, and they can connect. Siemen's (2005) connectivism theory highlights that; "the connections that enable us to learn more are more important that our current state of knowing." Learning managers can share and exchange their knowledge easily through these great websites.
I created the PowerPoint above, last year for my prac class. I found the software very easy to use. I even managed to embed a YouTube clip within it. I'm afraid, however, that when it came to the voice clip in the background, it was impossible. I was able to record the clip and everything seemed to be working perfectly but for some reason on my computer, I just couldn't hear it. It could possibly just be my computer. But anyway, this is the technology journey that I am on. I now realise that sometimes technology just doesn't work no matter how hard you try. SlideShare would be a great way to enhance learning experiences for learners themselves. Learners could use this site to submit their PowerPoint for assessment. Then, learners could explore others' ideas and provide feedback. This would be a great way for the learners to feel as though they belong in the classroom. Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs (Kunc, 1992) highlight that all learners need to feel a sense of love and belonging within the classroom. If learners are able to communicate outside of school hours, through their SlideShare webpages, and build a friendship between their peers.

There are so many e-learning tools out there it is amazing and wonderful! Learning experiences need to utilise the tools to their full potential.


Warm regards,

Kira.



References

Kunc, N. (1992). The Need to Belong: Rediscovering Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://www.normemma.com/armaslow.htm

Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

Wikipedia. (2009). Wikipedia. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia







No comments: